Saturday, August 1, 2009

3-dimensional pop out shapes, 3rd Grade

This is a great project to use a ruler, teach a little about 3-D and form.

Just start with a plain white piece of paper. Draw a center dot. Have them draw 3-5 shapes around the center dot. (I usually recommend circles, square, trianges, rectangles, hearts or diamonds)

Then, show them how to use a ruler and connect the edges of the shape to the center dot. Any edge that you lay your ruler down and it cuts through the shape means DON'T draw the line!

Once you show them on the board, they will fully understand.

You can add stripes and designs to your shapes like mine. We use marker to color them in. Then, have the students cut out the entire design and post onto a background colored paper that compliments the art piece.

This is a great one-day project, and they love the result...and so do I!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE the new look of the blog! Very slick and professional!

Missy said...

Wow! I'm a homeschool mom and art is definitely NOT my strong point. I found your blog as I was searching for ideas and I love it! You have great pictures and easy-to-understand instructions. I can't wait to try lots of your ideas. Thank you so, so much for sharing!

Hope Chella said...

Thanks SO MUCH for your blog. I'm going into my 2nd year of elementary art teaching and find your lessons & written explanations to be helpful AND inspiring! I used the tallest ice cream cone lesson at the end of the school year and it was a hit with K-2nd graders :)

Beth said...

Love this project idea!! What a great way to introduce perspective and 3-d shapes! Thanks!